Gastroenterology is the medical speciality concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of all diseases of the digestive system, which includes not only organs such as the oesophagus, the stomach, the small intestine, the large intestine, the rectum and the anus, but also digestive glands such as the liver, the bile ducts and the pancreas.
Patients suffering from digestive afflictions can be treated by Valais Hospital gastroenterologists on the Sion, Sierre and Martigny sites for the Valais romand region and in Brig and Visp for the Haut-Valais region.
Range of Services
- Gastroscopy (visualisation of the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum)
- Ileocolonoscopy (visualisation of the large intestine and of the lower part of the small intestine)
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography = visualisation and imaging of the bile and pancreatic ducts, including minor interventions)
- Rectosigmoidoscopy (visualisation of the lower sections of the large intestine)
- Endoscopic haemostasis in the oesophagus, stomach and intestine
- Swallowing disorders, difficulty in passing food: dilatation of shrunken areas, insertion of feeding prostheses or catheters, insertion of PEG catheters
- Biopsies of the liver
- Assessment and treatment of acute and chronic affections of the liver and of the bile ducts, including antiviral treatment for hepatitis B and C